Observations from my road trip up to Wisconsin for the Thanksgiving holiday:
- I crossed the Tallahatchie Bridge in Mississippi.
- Graceland smells like a toilet from the highway.
- A huge meteor from the Leonid meteor shower streamed green before disintegrating over East Prairie, Missouri.
- The road that travelers take to visit Ronald Reagan’s birthplace of Tampico, Illinois, is (appropriately) a toll road. In fact, across 1200 miles of travel, it was the only toll road I encountered — and expensive at that: $1.90 per toll. Including the additional toll I had to pay because the signage for the exchange off ramp was so poor, I spent $5.70 to get the hell out of Illinois.
- There’s a no-fee ATM in Madison next to the bookstore.
- Wisconsin farm country north of Madison smells like cheese curds.
- Coming back down to New Orleans from Wisconsin, I observed that Mississippi has the prettiest scenery along the I-55 of any state. Wisconsin and Louisiana are close seconds.